|Headquarters||Beverly Hills, CA,|
DMG Entertainment is a global media and entertainment company with holdings and operations across motion pictures, television, comic book publishing, gaming, next-gen technology and location-based entertainment. The studio's most recognizable films include Looper (2012), Iron Man 3 (2013), Playmobil: The Movie (2019), and Bloodshot (2020).
Jan 29, 2018 Filmmaker and DMG Entertainment Founder Dan Mintz announced today that the company has acquired Valiant Entertainment, the third largest universe of superhero characters in entertainment, sitting alongside Warner Bros.’ DC Comics and Disney’s Marvel. Mintz has held a significant stake in Valiant since 2014. Most people know Dan Mintz as fan favorite Tina Belcher from Bob’s Burgers. But prior to becoming arguably the most identifiable animated teenage girl ever, Mintz had an illustrious career as a.
DMG Entertainment began as a film production company that was founded by Dan Mintz, Bing Wu, and Peter Xiao. In the late 2000s, DMG began distribution of non-Chinese films in Chinese theaters, including Twilight and Knowing.
Film production was added to DMG's portfolio in 2009, and its first production was The Founding of a Republic (2009). DMG also contributed to the productions of Looper (2012) and Iron Man 3 (2013) and distributed the films in theaters in China. DMG became involved with Looper as Endgame Entertainment's Chinese partner. After the companies closed the deal in January 2011, changes to film production included casting Chinese actress Summer Qing and setting part of the film in Shanghai. DMG's involvement allowed it to distribute the film in China at the same time as its international premiere, where there was usually 'a blackout period' before non-Chinese films could be screened in China. Although Chinese regulators did not grant Looper official co-production status, DMG's involvement with Looper as a Chinese company permitted its distribution of the film. Variety reported, 'That means that the film could be considered domestically Chinese, which can provide the same benefits as a co-production.'
DMG also contributed as a production partner for Marvel Studios' Iron Man 3, though Disney and DMG withdrew plans to apply for official co-production status in China. Despite the withdrawal, DMG's involvement resulted in inclusion of various Chinese elements such as the casting of Chinese actor Wang Xueqi and footage shot in Beijing. The companies also edited a different version of Iron Man 3 to be distributed in China. The version included a scene with actor Fan Bingbing and 'bonus footage specifically for Chinese viewers'.
It was reported that the company benefited from 'strong connections' with Chinese government officials and the state-run film enterprise China Film Group. The trade paper said, 'The journeys of 'Looper' and 'Iron Man 3' were not exactly smooth, with questions over whether they would qualify as co-productions, which enjoy vital benefits in distribution, immunity from blackout periods and a far greater revenue share.' Mintz said DMG's involvement with the films has helped validate its approach to the Chinese film market.
According to Variety report, In October 2016, DMG Entertainment acquired film and licensing rights to Brandon Sanderson's “Cosmere', a series of interconnected fantasy novels, for future screen adaptation. The company also committed to spending $270 million for the first 3 movies which is about half the budget for the future project.
In 2017, DMG Entertainment launched DMG VR, a new division focused on immersive storytelling. As part of a new project, DMG introduced Arcturus, a DMG subsidiary firm developing interactive VR technologies. In 2016 it became known that, DMG also acquired the VR rights to Hasbro’s Transformers franchise, a live-action attraction and a theme park for Transformers Universe featuring its most notable characters in interactive environment using VR technologies. The first 'digital simulation center' started in spring 2017 in Shanghai. There were also reports on 'DMG developing a Transformers Live show in collaboration with S2BN.'
DMG Entertainment was majority shareholder of the books and comics publisher Valiant Comics since 2014, allowing it to have a significant impact on the company's recent development. Following the full acquisition of comic publisher Valiant Entertainment in 2018, DMG added two new divisions - Books & Comics and Video Games, that gave DMG control over Valiant’s interactive library, the third largest Universe of over 2,000 superhero characters including “X-O Manowar” and “Bloodshot”. As a result, DMG had a deal with Valiant to produce five movies based on Bloodshot and Harbinger.
In September 2019, it was announced that Paramount Pictures had acquired the rights to the Harbinger movie from Sony, with Neal Moritz, Toby Jaffe and Dan Mintz attached as producers.DMG’s Valiant Entertainment most recently produced Bloodshot alongside Sony Pictures, starring Vin Diesel as the titular superhero in what's likely to be the first of several comic book movies based in the world of Valiant Comics.
DMG’s Valiant Entertainment has teamed with Blowfish Studios, the indie game developer behind such games as Siegecraft and Gunscape, to develop a slate of multiplatform video games featuring the popular characters from the company’s superhero universe. They will start with Valiant Universe Game, the first multi-platform Valiant video game since Acclaim’s acquisition of the company back in the ‘90’s. The fan-favorite action-adventure game, Shadow Man Remaster, was announced with Nightdive Studios for release in 2021. The remaster will feature 4K resolution; improved shadow mapping, per-pixel lighting, and anti-aliasing; and the restoration of content that was cut from the original game, among other enhancements.
- Twilight (2008) – theatrical distribution (China)
- The Founding of a Republic (2009) – co-production
- Knowing (2009) – theatrical distribution (China)
- Go Lala Go! (2010) – co-production
- Killers (2010) – theatrical distribution (China)
- RED (2010) – theatrical distribution (China)
- Resident Evil: Afterlife (2011) – theatrical distribution (China)
- The Eagle (2011) – theatrical distribution (China)
- Beginning of the Great Revival (2011) – co-production
- Love You You (2011) – co-production
- Priest (2011) – theatrical distribution (China)
- Repeat I Love You (2012) – co-production
- Looper (2012) – co-production, theatrical distribution (China)
- Iron Man 3 (2013) – co-production
- No Man's Land (2013) – co-production
- Transcendence (2014) – co-production, theatrical distribution (China)
- Point Break (2015) – co-production, theatrical distribution (China)
- Collide (2015) – co-production
- Terminator 2 3D (2016) – theatrical distribution (China)
- Blockers (2018) – co-production
- Bloodshot (2020) – co-production
- ^ abcCoonan, Clifford (June 5, 2013). 'DMG's Dan Mintz: Hollywood's Man in China'. Variety. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- ^Staff (November 30, 2010). 'Resident Evil: Afterlife--China's No.1 3D film at box office'. China.org.cn. China Internet Information Center. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- ^Goldstein, Gregg (October 6, 2012). 'China partner helps 'Looper' win big'. Variety. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- ^ abGraser, Marc (March 29, 2013). 'China Gets Own Version of 'Iron Man 3′'. Variety. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- ^Variety: DMG Nabs Rights to Brandon Sanderson’s ‘Cosmere’ Book Universe in Massive Deal (October 27, 2016)
- ^Variety: DMG Entertainment Gets Into Virtual Reality
- ^Hollywood Reporter: Hasbro, DMG Sign Deal to Create Huge 'Transformers' Attraction in China
- ^Deadline Hollywood: Hasbro, DMG Launching Virtual Reality ‘Transformers’ Centers In Shanghai
- ^Hollywood Reporter: Comic Book Shake-Up: DMG Entertainment Acquires Valiant (Exclusive)
- ^The Wrap: DMG Acquires Comics Publisher Valiant Entertainment
- ^Valiant, Blowfish Studios Team for Superhero Video Games (Exclusive)
- ^THR: Paramount Picks Up Comic Book Movie 'Harbinger' From Sony
- ^Business Insider: Valiant has the biggest superhero universe in comics behind Marvel and DC. Now it plans to take Hollywood by storm with help from Vin Diesel
- ^Deadline: China’s DMG And Valiant Entertainment Partner to Expand Superhero Universe – Video
- ^ abNewsweek: WHO IS BLOODSHOT? NEW TRAILER INTRODUCES VIN DIESEL AS VALIANT COMICS SUPERHERO
- ^Geek Tyrant: Valiant and Blowfish Studios Are Teaming Up to Create New Video Games
- ^IGN: Bloodshot: Valiant Comic-Movie to Be Turned Into a Video Game
- ^IGN: N64 Favorite Shadow Man Remaster Announced for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- ^'James Cameron, DMG Partner for 'Terminator 2' 3D Rerelease Targeting China (Exclusive)'. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-03-17.
- ^'Leslie Mann, John Cena, Ike Barinholtz to Star in Comedy 'The Pact' (Exclusive)'. Variety. Retrieved 2017-04-25.