Cisco AnyConnect is the recommended VPN client for Mac. The built-in VPN client for Mac is another option but is more likely to suffer from disconnects.
Stanford's VPN allows you to connect to Stanford's network as if you were on campus, making access to restricted services possible. To connect to the VPN from your Mac you need to install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.
Two types of VPN are available:
- Default Stanford (split-tunnel). When using Stanford's VPN from home, we generally recommend using the Default Stanford split-tunnel VPN. This routes and encrypts all traffic going to Stanford sites and systems through the Stanford network as if you were on campus. All non-Stanford traffic proceeds to its destination directly.
- Full Traffic (non-split-tunnel). This encrypts all internet traffic from your computer but may inadvertently block you from using resources on your local network, such as a networked printer at home. If you are traveling or using wi-fi in an untrusted location like a coffee shop or hotel, you may wish to encrypt all of your internet traffic through the Full Traffic non-split-tunnel VPN to provide an additional layer of security.
You can select the type of VPN you want to use each time you connect.
The current version of the Cisco AnyConnect client available through WebStore (4.8.03052) is officially supported and compatible with Mac OS X versions that support 64-bit applications including Mac OS versions 10.13 (High Sierra), 10.14 (Mojave), and 10.15 (Catalina). When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Dating sites that start with the letter t - Chatting sites 2015 dating meeting your match! Black australian opal rings, over 40.
Install the VPN client
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect installer for Mac.
- Double-click the InstallAnyConnect.pkg file to start the Cisco AnyConnect Installer wizard.
- When the Welcome window displays, click Continue.
- Select your hard drive as the destination where you want to install Cisco AnyConnect and then click Continue.
- Click Install to perform a standard installation of the software.
- At the prompt, enter your administrator account password for the Mac and click Install Software.
- When the software has finished installing, click Close.
Connect to the Stanford VPN
- To launch the VPN client, open your Applications folder and navigate to Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app.
- When prompted for a VPN, enter su-vpn.stanford.edu and then click Connect.
- Enter the following information and then click OK:
- Group: select Default Stanford split- tunnel (non-Stanford traffic flows normally on an unencrypted internet connection) or Full Traffic non-split-tunnel (all internet traffic flows through the VPN connection)
- Username: your SUNet ID
- Password: your SUNet ID password
- Next, the prompt for two-step authentication displays.
- Enter a passcode or enter the number that corresponds to another option(in this example, enter 1 to authenticate using Duo Push on an iPad). You may have to scroll down the list to see all of your options. Then click Continue.
- If your only registered authentication method is printed list, hardware token, or Google Authenticator, the menu does not display. Enter a passcode in the Answer field and click Continue.
- Click Accept to connect to the Stanford Public VPN service.
- Once the VPN connection is established, the Cisco AnyConnect icon with a small lock appears in the dock.
Disconnect from the Stanford VPN
Anyconnect For Macos
- Click the Cisco AnyConnect icon with a small lock.
- At the prompt, click Disconnect.
This article shows you how to download and install the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client version 4.8 on a Mac Computer. This article is applicable only to Cisco Business products that includes the RV34x series routers and not Enterprise products.
AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client is a modular endpoint software product. It not only provides Virtual Private Network (VPN) access through Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) Internet Key Exchange version2 (IKEv2) but also offers enhanced security through various built-in modules. Why use a VPN? A VPN connection allows users to access, send, and receive data to and from a private network by means of going through a public or shared network such as the Internet but still ensuring a secure connection to an underlying network infrastructure to protect the private network and its resources.
If you are using a Windows computer, click here to view an article on how to install AnyConnect on Windows.
Applicable Devices Software Version
- RV340 - 1.0.03.17 (Download latest)
- RV340W - 1.0.03.17 (Download latest)
- RV345 - 1.0.03.17 (Download latest)
- RV345P - 1.0.03.17 (Download latest)
AnyConnect and Mac Software Version
- AnyConnect (This document uses AnyConnect version 4.8 Link to download)
- Mac OS Catalina (10.15) is compatible with AnyConnect 4.8 and later
- Mac OS Mojave (10.14) is compatible with AnyConnect 4.9.05042 and below
Note: You will encounter issues if you attempt to use Mac OS Catalina with earlier versions of AnyConnect (AnyConnect 4.8 Release Notes Details from Apple )
For more details about the supported operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac) of the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client, refer to the article on Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Supported Operating Systems and Requirements. You can also check the Release Notes of the relevant versions for the most updated information.
Install AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
AnyConnect client licenses allow the use of the AnyConnect desktop clients as well as any of the AnyConnect mobile clients that are available.
Licensing Structure - Firmware versions 220.127.116.11 and later
As of March 2019, using RV340 series routers version 18.104.22.168 and later no longer require server licenses. Now you will need only a client license to download and use the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. A client license enables the VPN functionality and are sold in packs of 25 from partners like CDW or through your company's device procurement.
We recommend the following user license for use with the RV340 Series:
L-AC-PLS-LIC= Qty=25 Duration=12
Licensing Structure - Firmware versions 22.214.171.124 or lower
Anyconnect Mac 10.15
If you have not yet updated your firmware, please do so now. Do not delay. Click here to visit the downloads page for the RV34X series.
For further information and community discussion on AnyConnect licensing updates, click here.
For AnyConnect Licensing FAQs, click here.
Download AnyConnect here.
Install the AnyConnect Pre-deployment Package for the MAC operating systems.
Double-click the installer.
Go over the Supplemental End User License Agreement and then click Continue.
Choose the components to be installed by checking or unchecking the corresponding check boxes. All components are installed by default.
The items you select in this screen will appear as options in AnyConnect. If deploying AnyConnect for end-users, you may want to consider deselecting options.
Anyconnect For Macbook
(Optional) Enter your password in the Password field.
Click Install Software.
You have now successfully installed the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Software on your Mac computer.
To try out AnyConnect on mobile devices, the App can be downloaded from Google Play store or Apple store.